On the nicotine found in tobacco. And have been for hundreds—if not thousands—of years. It’s been smoked, snorted and chewed; in cigarettes, dip and dip pouches.
There are all kinds of reasons users start chewing smokeless tobacco, including pressure from friends, dry mouth, watching older family members chew and as an energy boost.
The Best Reasons to Quit the Dip
And there just as many reasons to stop dipping: Health risks, cost, becoming isolated from family & friends, tooth discoloration and gum and mouth damage.
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) has been clear about communicating the dangers of chewing tobacco and dip pouches:
- Chewing tobacco and dip pouches cause cancer of the mouth, esophagus and pancreas
- Chewing tobacco and dip pouches can increase risks for early delivery and stillbirth when used during pregnancy.
- Chewing tobacco and dip pouches can cause nicotine poisoning in children.
- Chewing tobacco and dip pouches may increase the risk for death from heart disease and stroke.
Plus, chewing tobacco and dip pouches will take a bite out of your wallet.
Despite all of its many risks, a survey by CDC revealed that 8.9% of U.S. high school students had used smokeless tobacco on at least once during the past 30 days. The five states with the highest percentage of high school users were Wyoming (16.2%) North Dakota (15.3%) South Dakota (14.6%) Montana (14.6%) and West Virginia (14.4%).
Quitting a chewing tobacco habit can be tough…but not impossible. Many smokeless tobacco users have quit successfully.
10 best ways to stop dipping
Put together a plan that works for you.
- Know of friends or family who have quit? Find out how they did it.
- Get a buddy who uses dip to quit at the same time. Misery loves company.
- Set a date to quit and stick to it.
- Think about all the places and times that make you want to chew most and steer clear.
- Don’t substitute cigarette smoking for chewing tobacco. Coffee pouches like Java Chews are better, great-tasting chewing tobacco alternatives.
- To ween or not to ween: Start by replacing at least half of your current dip with a tobacco-free dip. Then, every week or two weeks cut the amount of dip by half, substituting tobacco-free dip as you go. Some people react to all or nothing better. While other users have better results with a slow steady decrease.
- Look for something to do instead of chew. Take up a hobby. Work out. Read more.
- Ask your family and friends for support. Research shows that people who are supported by family and friends are more successful at quitting the dip.
- Talk to your doctor, who may be able to suggest whether a nicotine gum or another nicotine replacement product is right for you. He or she may also be able to recommend a support program that might help you quit.
- Chew on this, instead…
What to Chew, Savor, Swish Instead of Chew
Find something else to do when you want to chew dip or dip pouches. Many people chew or dip when they are bored. Instead, take a walk or run. Go to the gym. Take a hot shower. Take a cold shower. Or take up a hobby or any activity you enjoy that will keep your mind off smokeless tobacco.
Find a tobacco-free chew substitute for smokeless tobacco that you enjoy. This may be Java Chews, hard candy, chewing gum and beef jerky.
Don’t freak out if you mess up. Or use that as an excuse to start chewing or dipping tobacco again! You’re only human. But learn from your slip. Think about what you can do to avoid a slip-up the next time.
Once you quit chewing, give yourself props—and maybe even reward yourself. You’ve worked hard! And achieved something pretty great.
Celebrate your success by using the money you would have spent on smokeless tobacco to buy yourself that gaming system, a new HDTV or a weekend getaway.
Plan to have chewing tobacco alternatives in your pocket or nearby when you put yourself in those situations.
Join a user group like Kill The Can to get firsthand info from former tobacco users.
Take the 1-Week Quit the Dip Challenge!
Try great-tasting Java Chews flavored-coffee pouches for a week. If they don’t help you kick the can, just return any unopened cans and we’ll refund your money. No questions asked.
Java Chews go anywhere. Each tin contains 15 individual pouches, so there’s no fumbling for the right-sized pinch or dropping grinds.
The flavor lasts about an hour, depending on the user’s chewing habits. Like coffee itself, Java Chews come in Mocha Coffee Dip, Caramel Chew Dip, French Vanilla Coffee Pouches and Wintergreen Coffee Dip, with more on the way. Java Chews are available at convenience stores and online at JavaChews.com.
try them all
Click the button to try our best-selling Starter Pack!